Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines treat

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I have always somewhat enjoyed baking and cooking, especially around the holidays. However, I have recently become ADDICTED to the Food Network and the Cooking Channel. Some of my favorite programs are: Chopped, Cooking for Real, Giada at Home, Worst cooks in America, Cake Boss, At Home with Pillsbury, and Paula Dean. I know, I know... you are all probably thinking I am the biggest couch potato ever... Not true. I catch maybe a couple of programs a week. Between work, school, and homework there isn't much spare time for tv watching. But when I do have the time, I love to cook.
Since Valentines Day is right around the corner, I figured I would try something new. We were having some friends over for dinner and it made for a perfect excuse to make a Valentines Treat.
In an internet browse session, I came across the recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes. Needless to say, they were delicious and fun to make. But lets be honest, anything made from sugar and butter with cream cheese frosting is always delicious... and a healthy addition to the bootaayy. But who cares right. There is always the rest of the week to work it off. LOL.
If anyone is interested, I have posted the recipe below, just in case any of you want to try it. Valentines day is tomorrow so you still have time. I found this recipe at http://www.thejoyofbaking.com/.

Cupcakes:
1 1/4 C sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T cocoa powder
3/4 C white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 C buttermilk
1 T red food coloring
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C confectioners' sugar
1/3 heaving whipping cream

I am really going to try to be better at this blog thing, and hopefully post more fun easy recipes at least once a week.

Below are some pictures of us all hanging out after dinner. We have started a new tradition of doing dinner each month at one of our homes. Jeff and I hosted the first dinner. It was so fun to have everyone over to our place. Our little place is tiny and it was a bit of a crunch, but turned out a okay. I made pizza for dinner and then we watched the boys play Soul Caliber on the wii. It is way more enternaining than any movie would ever be. Its amazing how these boys never "really" grow up. I love it. As you can tell by Jeff in the picture below.

Stockton was a little champ, and was so good all night. It is so fun seeing all these kiddos grow up. And if anyone is wondering.... YES! Jeff and I are plagued with the question "So, When are you guys going to have kids??" all the time. Ha Ha. Well, the answer is.... nunya. LOL.

I know. We are getting old. Jeff's mom told us the other day that we need to quit having fun, and start having kids. And my mom is not subtle about dropping hints at all. It makes for some funny conversations. But to put all minds at peace... Jeff and I are going to have a baby.... one day. :)
s
Well it was a fun weekend. As you can see little Stockton is one of the guys already. thanks for the fun time everybody.



3 comments:

John~Chelsey~Enorah~Dash said...

i am with ya on the food channel & food network! i LOVE giada! my fave (: the cupcakes look delicious!

Cass said...

Those cupcakes were freaking awesome! I love when you bake/cook. :) Hey, don't wait too long on the kids thing - our little ones will need friends! *wink* *wink*

Mel Brown said...

that looks delicious! :)